The Ministry of Environment and Climate Change is a service ministry that specializes in achieving many goals, foremost of which is protecting the environment, preserving its resources and reducing emissions that cause climate change.
The Ministry of Environment and Climate Change was established in accordance with the decision of His Highness Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani, the Emir of the State, No. (57) of 2021, to specify the functions of the ministries, which includes in its 8th article; the competence of the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change.
- Propose and implement public policies to protect the environment, and reduce emissions that cause climate change
- Conduct and evaluate necessary studies to protect the environment.
- Support and develop institutions that work to develop public awareness of the importance of preserving and protecting the environment
- Encourage the use of technological developments in supporting and protecting the environment.
- Develop wildlife and marine life, protect their natural habitats, and follow up activities related to them.
- Monitor the circulation of chemical and radioactive materials, manage radioactive waste, and follow up on the proper uses of nuclear energy.
- Promote environmentally friendly uses of treated wastewater and recycled solid waste.
- Issue environmental licenses for industrial development projects.
- Monitor industrial environmental violations and conduct necessary inspections.
- Manage and supervise nature reserves.